Wednesday, December 10, 2008

Tis the Season...

For women to ask the men in their lives for overpriced handbags.

If you know me, you already know how I feel, but I think it needs repeating.

You are not defined by the purse hanging from your arm, it doesn't make you special, smarter, or even creative. 80% of church going women carry these handbags like they are some sort of trophy. I know I sound harsh, but come on....why? why?

Lets break it down....

First of all, they are not even cute. They have big block letters peppered all over them, like some sort of preschool art.

Second, they are not unique. Everyone has them.

Third.....YOU CANT AFFORD ONE.

The majority of women carrying these things struggle just to make their monthly bills. Yet there it is, hanging off their shoulder....all $500- of it. It really is the silliest display of covetousness. And, dont tell me....oh I only like the little ones, and they aren't that pricey. Yes! Yes they are. In my opinon, even a $100- for a purse is ridiculous. The only reason people pay those prices, is because they are trying to make a statement. The bags function just like any other.

I know I sound harsh, and NO I am not jealous. I had to fight off my husband last year, he insisted I "deserved" an overpriced purse. I don't deserve one...no woman does. They are a silly way to waste your money. Charge enough for something, label it so everyone knows it is overpriced and all the sheep will run out to get one.

Unbelievable

3 comments:

maynard said...

nicely stated...i saw a lady paying for groceries at food lion with food stamps. where did she pull her food stamps out of? you guessed it...her coach purse. thanks for making me aware of this now.

Zombie said...

Some people get around this by buying the illegal knock off ones. That prolly isn't so good either.

The Wife said...

I once bought a knock of Kate Spade at a party. I didn't realize the whole crime rings behind them & sweat shops. I gave myself an anxiety attack over it and destroyed the evidence. I stay far away now and we could never afford a real one not that that's what I would want to spend my money on.